From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:09:41
1 On Feb 4, 2004, at 8:10 pm, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 04 February 2004 20:51, Don Seiler wrote:
4 >> Interactively merge the two and you should be all set.
5 >
6 > The problem is that this file should not need to change at all. The
7 > baselayout
8 > ebuild should be smart enough to see that /etc/fstab must not be
9 > changed
10 > (same as passwd and group)
11
12 I recall a while back there were some changes that were necessary to be
13 merged into fstab; in fact mine contains the following 3 lines:
14 # added by baselayout-1.8.6.8-r1 - 5/7/2003
15 # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
16 none /proc proc defaults
17 0 0
18
19 But aside from that, fstab and some other systems files never change; I
20 always think these should be distributed as /etc/fstab.example and so
21 on. The Installation documentation could be changed to say "copy & edit
22 your fstab like so: cp /etc/fstab.example /etc/fstab && nano -w
23 /etc/fstab`" and users would have the benefit of a back-up of the
24 original should they ever b0rk theirs up.
25
26 Stroller.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list