From: Edward Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:36:19
1 On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 09:39 -0500, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > On 11/27/05, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 27 November 2005 00:10, Luca Barbato wrote:
4 > > > It's great!
5 > > > Make it a FEATURE default on for common profiles.
6 > > +1, and it would be better if the FEATURES, instead of removing the generated
7 > > files, would disable the building of them completely, mainly because "work"
8 > > systems with limited CPU, RAM and HDD space would probably prefer not having
9 > > to create and store them :)
10 >
11 > Err, maybe I am incorrect, but isn't it more "work" to ungenerate them
12 > (using strip) then to just not install them?
13
14 The debug info gets built into the binary by gcc. We copy out the debug
15 info using objcopy --only-keep-debug, add a link with --gnu-debuglink
16 and then remove it from the binary using strip.
17
18 Without FEATURES=splitdebug the first two steps would be omitted, making
19 it exactly the same as what happens now. So, no more work.
20
21 Ed Catmur
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list