From: "K.L. Davis" <kdavis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:04:50
1 On 17 Mar 2002 17:43:42 -0600
2 Panax <mail@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I have one worry about creating a gentoo-newbie (if it isn't already
5 > official), it is that they will be ignored, I know gentoo-user is huge,
6 > but maybe gentoo-install would be better because-- 1) It would be for a
7 > specific problem, not a class of people 2) This group would incorporate
8 > new and expierenced linux users who just happened to run into a
9 > situation during the install.
10 > Panax
11
12 Perhaps not... Hey, let's face it, the majority of questions that have been showing up lately in gentoo-user are... well, pretty simple stuff -- Age old, very basic questions... I saw today the old "bus set a 33Mhz" question that had to have ranked at or near the most frequently asked question on many news groups and bb some time back (I though it went away because most people's systems boot so fast now that they never get a chance to read it!).
13
14 Anyway...if people do subscribe to gentoo-newbie, it should take a very short time for a percentage of the "newbie list" to become familiar with the simpler (albeit, oh so common) questions... Most of those questions have been asked many times and are well documented -- This small group in the newbie list will quickly become known on the list and should be well respected for their prompt and accurate answers.. sort of "newbie gurus" if you will?
15
16 This group will most likely find allies in the more experienced user base and bring the not so simple questions up to them... in turn learning more and developing their skill set even further.
17
18 Sure... in time they will tire of SOS (as it seems too many of us already have?) and move away from the newbie list... but rest assured that there will be other to step in -- face it, making a name for one's self amoungst the gang is very enticing and - in this case - productive.
19
20 Or, maybe not...