From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:18:45
1 Matt Turner schrieb:
2 > This sounds good in theory, but I think it's pretty well established
3 > that in practice this isn't effective and instead is a large waste of
4 > time.
5
6 I think even the thread starter stated that -Werror is unnecessary in the
7 vast majority of cases.
8
9 > In fact, the foundational premise that it's possible to build
10 > without warnings everywhere is simply wrong.
11 >
12 > Consider again the bug that started this. The maintainer had not built
13 > this configuration. None of the arch teams had built this
14 > configuration until I did for the last architecture Cc'd. The patch
15 > committed doesn't change anything installed on the system, if not for
16 > Werror preventing the code from building.
17
18 It is indeed an insurmountable task to write code that is warning-free from
19 the beginning across architectures, compiler versions, etc. But that is not
20 the goal anyway. It is examining the situation and taking appropriate action,
21 and then applying a change to no longer cause that particular warning (or
22 make it non-fatal if the warning is bogus/harmless).
25 Best regards,
26 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn