From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:51:35
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Jason Zaman schrieb:
5 > >> No. With -Werror, upstream indicates that if a warning occurs, the build
6 > >> should fail and the resulting code not be installed on user systems.
7 > >>
8 > >> Instead, someone knowledgeable should look at the situation *first* and
9 > >> determine whether it is a bogus warning, a trivial issue, or something which
10 > >> warrants further attention.
11 > >>
12 > >> I have long disagreed with QA policy on this, and think that ebuilds should
13 > >> respect upstream here. Of course giving users the ability to override.
14 > >
15 > > I disagree. -Werror means that upstream wants it to build without
16 > > warnings on their distro with their version of the compiler with their
17 > > versions of all the libraries.
18 >
19 > It means, upstream wants it to build without warnings everywhere. And if a
20 > warning occurs (due to change in compiler, libraries, architecture, etc.),
21 > have a developer look at it first before installing the code on user systems.
22
23 This sounds good in theory, but I think it's pretty well established
24 that in practice this isn't effective and instead is a large waste of
25 time. In fact, the foundational premise that it's possible to build
26 without warnings everywhere is simply wrong.
27
28 Consider again the bug that started this. The maintainer had not built
29 this configuration. None of the arch teams had built this
30 configuration until I did for the last architecture Cc'd. The patch
31 committed doesn't change anything installed on the system, if not for
32 Werror preventing the code from building.