From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default useflag cleanups: -apm -foomaticdb -fortran -imlib -motif -oss -xmms
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:17:50
1 On Monday 05 June 2006 15:58, Luis Medinas wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 21:22 +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:03:57PM +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
4 > > > today I would like to propose a few default keywords for removal. They
5 > > > are outdated and no longer needed on current systems:
6 > >
7 > > What do you want to remove, the use flags themselves or just turn them
8 > > off in the profiles?
9 > >
10 > > > -xmms - xmms depends on gtk-1 and has been superseeded by
11 > > > audacious/bmpx
12 > >
13 > > xmms is still in the tree? People (ok, at least me ;-) ) still use it?
14 > > I don't mind if it has to go and there are alternatives, but why would
15 > > you just want to remove its use flag and not the package itself?
16 > > If it needs to go, either dump all of it or nothing.
17 >
18 > Xmms will be removed soon... Lot's of users still use xmms mostly
19 > because it has many plugins that others don't. Xmms is still stable but
20 > the upstream is dead so it won't take our patchset. In the end of this
21 > year i would like to remove xmms and all plugins but before i need to
22 > prepare users for this changes and clean some maintainer-wanted bugs for
23 > plugins.
24
25 i think removing xmms is inappropriate at this time or in the near future
26 -mike