From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New keywords for non-Gentoo Linux platforms
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:59:25
1 On 13-10-2008 15:27:10 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 06:16:01 +0100
3 > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > Unless someone can say what using PROPERTIES=prefix would break, I'd
5 > > go with that. It's a /classic/ usage of that variable, as it's simply
6 > > a boolean; PROPERTIES is well-defined and I'm hoping all the manglers
7 > > support it. It'd be great to see the prefix branch finally merged so
8 > > we all get to play with it.
9 >
10 > It would break. Prefix ebuilds won't work unless ED is set, and a non
11 > PROPERTIES aware or non-prefix-property aware package manager won't set
12 > ED. Unless prefix is reimplemented to require no package manager
13 > changes for the install to / case, PROPERTIES is out.
14
15 Just to comment on this possibility; I see an option, given the
16 definition of ED and EROOT to do Prefix without them, by e.g. using
17 ${D}${EPREFIX} instead of ${ED} as shorthand. When ${EPREFIX} would be
18 unset, this would result in simple ${D}, which is "backwards
19 compatible". This is not all what is necessary, but a big deal of it.
20
21 Question here, however, is whether this is worth it. Personally, I
22 prefer the shorthands, as they give a lot of readability.
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo on a different level