From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Announce e-mail sending nonsense (Was: Last rites: x11-libs/gtk+:1)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 19:49:51
1 On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, L, 07.01.2017 kell 14:18, kirjutas Rich Freeman:
3 >>
4 >> Not all replies to gentoo-dev-announce should go to gentoo-dev. Some
5 >> belong on gentoo-project, or maybe even gentoo-nfp or some other less
6 >> common list. Hence the need to set a reply-to.
7 >
8 > 1) It is called gentoo-DEV-announce; there is gentoo-announce for the
9 > other stuff already.
10
11 Actually, gentoo-dev-announce is completely appropriate for things
12 like Council meeting agenda notices (where discussion goes on
13 -project), or elections, and so on. Not all of it is purely
14 development-related.
17 > Thanks for the history lesson. It is interesting you know that stuff
18 > about that this was on -core prior to -dev-announce, considering you
19 > became a developer in December 2007, while gentoo-dev-announce was
20 > created in July 2007 and the last rites have went there since then.
21 > (And I have sent last rites since early 2007 at least). Though I'm
22 > pretty sure this information about last rites to -core is wrong, but my
23 > memory fades and my old -core is archived up somewhere offline :D
26 Lastrites were on -dev previously I believe.
27
28 Many years ago over-use of -core was one of our larger hot-button
29 topics, and a lot of effort was made to move this sort of traffic
30 elsewhere. A lot of it pre-dates my time on the Council. I don't
31 personally have archives of what was on -core prior to becoming a dev,
32 but there had been plenty of discussion around it in general and of
33 course correct mailing list topics was a subject for new dev quizzes
34 and such way back then as well. Gentoo tends to have flares of drama
35 every couple of years and there had been a bit of a changing of the
36 guard right before I became a dev, though I was fairly involved well
37 before then as an AT and general user (think Duncan, who goes back
38 probably about as far, perhaps further).
39
40 As with today a lot gets said in private that doesn't make it onto the
41 lists, so list archives only really tell part of the story, though
42 again as with today you can read a lot of it between the lines.
45 Rich