From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Announce e-mail sending nonsense (Was: Last rites: x11-libs/gtk+:1)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 19:41:22
1 Ühel kenal päeval, L, 07.01.2017 kell 14:18, kirjutas Rich Freeman:
2 > On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
3 > wrote:
6 > > If gentoo-dev feel the need to set Reply-To in my place, then
7 > > gentoo-
8 > > dev-announce should do the same and not throw my mail into
9 > > /dev/null,
10 > > but into some regular moderation rules after setting the Reply-To
11 > > itself then.
14 > Not all replies to gentoo-dev-announce should go to gentoo-dev.  Some
15 > belong on gentoo-project, or maybe even gentoo-nfp or some other less
16 > common list.  Hence the need to set a reply-to.
17
18 1) It is called gentoo-DEV-announce; there is gentoo-announce for the
19 other stuff already.
20 2) It could keep an existing reply-to and set the default if none is
21 set, instead of just making the mail disappear with no notice of any
22 kind for spam reasons
23 3) I still haven't seen my announce mails after setting a Reply-To, so
24 I assume there's manual moderation anyways.
25
26 > Perhaps it should just be called gentoo-announce, though it is mostly
27 > aimed at developers.
28
29 Such a gentoo-announce list exists. Mostly has the GLSAs.
30
31 > In the past people used to send stuff like this
32 > to -core, but that led to a lot of over-use of -core which is private
33 > to devs only.  Now -core is only used very rarely and for the sorts
34 > of
35 > things it was intended for (exchanging phone numbers at conferences,
36 > etc), so in that it was a pretty big success and it makes us more
37 > open.
38
39 Thanks for the history lesson. It is interesting you know that stuff
40 about that this was on -core prior to -dev-announce, considering you
41 became a developer in December 2007, while gentoo-dev-announce was
42 created in July 2007 and the last rites have went there since then.
43 (And I have sent last rites since early 2007 at least). Though I'm
44 pretty sure this information about last rites to -core is wrong, but my
45 memory fades and my old -core is archived up somewhere offline :D