From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:03:16
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 6:50 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/10/2015 12:45 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:47 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On 09/10/2015 08:21 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> For me to not support gtk2 in the spacefm ebuild would be providing a
7 >>>> package inferior to upstream.
8 >>>
9 >>> That sounds like spacefm with gtk3 is lacking anything. It is not.
10 >>> Providing choice for the sake of choice is not always a good idea.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Suppose you want to run on an embedded system with limited RAM and the
14 >> ability to choose means you can use one of the two libraries
15 >> exclusively, thus eliminating the need to load the other library?
16 >> Being able to control what libraries are in use is a key feature of
17 >> Gentoo, IMO.
20 > We are not optimizing GUI desktop systems for embedded systems . That's
21 > totally unrealistic and not a real use case.
24 Suppose you want to run on a non-embedded system with limited RAM and the
25 ability to choose means you can use one of the two libraries
26 exclusively, thus eliminating the need to load the other library?
27 Being able to control what libraries are in use is a key feature of
28 Gentoo, IMO.
31 Rich