From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 21:56:05
1 On Tue, 2005-07-06 at 17:44 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:[Tue Jun 07 2005, 05:32:31PM EDT]
3 > > I also vote for alpha. I would like to see some indication of
4 > > maintainer arch in metadata too, but in general agree with the
5 > > policy of if one arch stabilises then we can assume that is the
6 > > maintainer arch.
7 >
8 > Whoa, careful there. It's not a policy and it's not even
9 > a recommendation. I believe there are arch teams that will
10 > automatically stable a package after it has been ~arch for a period of
11 > time. They will break your assumption.
12
13 This would be very evil. Are you sure its not a policy? Because it
14 should be and it has been discussed before. Arch teams should NOT get
15 ahead of the maintainer without his permission... or if they really
16 really know what they are doing. Maintainers normally know their
17 package/ebuilds and often have very good reasons to keep a package ~arch
18 for more than 30 days.. This is almost as evil as keywording on
19 architectures on which you can't test..
22 Olivier CrĂȘte
23 tester@g.o
24 Gentoo Developer
25 x86 Security Liaison