From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Difference of global/local useflags
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:38:06
1 John Nilsson said:
2 > On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:06, Joseph Booker wrote:
3 >> John Nilsson said:
4 >> > I feel that we should try to move away from the monolithic nature of
5 >> the
6 >> > portage tree and try to harness the power of "the web" more. To do
7 >> that
8 >> > we have to push as much of the package handling as possible upstream.
9 >>
10 >> Many handle it upstream, i can think of perl and oo.o off the top of my
11 >> head, but do you want to go through their customizing ways (aka, the
12 >> ./configure script) and lose portage's ablity to be run
13 >> non-interactivly?
17 > I would be fine with something like the kernels "make oldconfig" each
18 > emerge instance.
19 > That would be just as "non-interactive" as:
20 > emerge -uUD world -pv && vim /etc/make.conf && vim /etc/portage/* &&
21 > emerge -uUD world.
22
23 I am sorry, but I don't understand. Your original post recommended the
24 gentoo devs just dump all their work and go back to portage when it was
25 much more simplified. Getting rid of all global settings sorta gets rid of
26 the use of a make.conf, and if there are no use flags, all the settings is
27 pretty much what do you want masked/unmasked in /etc/portage........an
28 interesting way of taking a step backwards. Anyways, unless there is some
29 central configuration for all of portage that handles everything then
30 mentioing `make oldconfig` doens't make sense, neither does your commands
31 of updating, editing the configs (for what?) and re-updating (which does
32 nothing unless you've done an emerge sync)
33
34 that and your using the -U flag, not recommend btw
37 Joe Booker
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list