From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] evolution of x86 stabling procedures
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:06:24
1 I maintain very few packages these days, so it was quite a surprise to
2 me today when I discovered that peer review is now effectively a part of
3 the x86 stabilization process. When I wrote GLEP 40, the problem that I
4 was trying to solve was that of devs stabling packages without ever
5 testing the package on an actual stable system (because most devs run
6 ~arch). As such, the language in GLEP 40 essentially suggests that devs
7 could still stable their own packages, but only if they were properly
8 testing the package on a stable system. That policy has evolved over
9 time to one where devs are actively discouraged from stabling their own
10 packages, thereby ensuring that at least one other person examines and
11 tests the ebuild before it becomes stable. (I'm still not quite sure of
12 the actual procedure, so I'm not sure how many people are generally
13 involved in this peer review process.) From a QA perspective, more eyes
14 can only be a good thing, and this idea has been tossed around
15 on-and-off for years. On the other hand, peer review could potentially
16 really slow things down, which is why we'd always rejected that approach
17 in the past. Are other arch's also requiring peer review? Do we have
18 any statistics or anecdotal evidence for what's improving, and whether
19 or not anything is getting worse as a result?
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76