From: Frido Ferdinand <frido.ferdinand@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:10:16
1 Hi,
2
3 On 10/31/05, Dave Shanker <dshanker@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > What about Portage auto generating a upgrade file
5 > (/usr/portage/notices (like it does with it's cache) and then
6 > providing a notice at the end of an emerge than lets the user know
7 > it's there and how to read it. We could even provide a switch in
8 > portage to read the file and display the notices (emerge
9 > --readnotice).
12 Noted this thread on stu's weblog, and found it very interesting. Just
13 jumping in midway, so I might have missed some stuff. I agree that there
14 currently are too many channels where a user could look for information,
15 changing one of these channel to be an authorative one, and start using
16 it more often could be a good solution.
17
18 However stu's --news proposals looks interesting too, implementation
19 wise maybe it's a good idea to look at the GLSA and GLEP type messages.
20 They provide an excellent fixed, parsable format for changes already. And
21 afaik are the defacto source for security and enhancement proposals.
22 Maybe this should be extended to something like a GLCM (Gentoo Linux
23 Change Message, be creative). if the format is XML defined, i'm sure
24 the portage people can integrate it into emerge --pretend with a special
25 flag, esp. if GLSA is already working. It's also easy to distribute these to
26 websites, mailinglists, RSS etc. As a sideeffect it's also easier to talk about
27 changes (compare, "GLCM 32", to "That apache change earlier this year").
28 One of the downsides of this could be that it places more work pressure on
29 developers, but i'm sure a good generation tool will help with this.
30
31 As a sidenote, The FreeBSD /usr/ports/UPGRADING is boring, but it works for
32 me.
33
34 Regards,
35