From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new USE="win32" flag for mingw and prefix/windows support
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:38:33
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 20/04/16 02:17 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > On 20 Apr 2016 21:01, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
6 >> On 20 April 2016 at 18:52, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
7 >>> After doing some experimentation with a mingw crossdev, I
8 >>> found that I needed to do a lot of EXTRA_ECONF settings in
9 >>> combination with USE="aqua" in order to get packages
10 >>> supporting a win32 API to be configured appropriately. In
11 >>> order to support this situation better, I propose adding a
12 >>> new global flag 'win32', modelled after the 'aqua' flag, that
13 >>> can be used instead to provide this configuration directly in
14 >>> ebuilds.
15 >>>
16 >>> Just like USE="aqua", the flag will be use.mask'ed in base/
17 >>> so that users don't erroneously enable it. I didn't
18 >>> un-use.mask it anywhere yet since (A) I don't have a
19 >>> prefix/windows environment to test, and (B) the mingw-based
20 >>> crossdev environments use profiles/embedded by default, which
21 >>> doesn't inherit from profiles/base and so doesn't have the
22 >>> use.mask restriction.
23 >>>
24 >>> The attached patch lists the necessary changes to profile/ as
25 >>> well as the addition of USE=win32 to *ONE VERSION* of gtk+:2,
26 >>> gtk+:3 and cairo (the actual commit will include more
27 >>> versions).
28 >>>
29 >>> Comments?
30 >>
31 >> You should be able to achieve similar behavior by looking at
32 >> libc and/or CHOST without introducing new USE flag, just like
33 >> we do for aix/solaris/freebsd etc...
34 >
35 > agreed ... we have kernel_Winnt & elibc_Winnt already. i think
36 > those represent a mingw environment (vs a cygwin env).
37 >
38 > i don't think a parallel to aqua makes sense. aqua is a specific
39 > UI toolkit in OS X. it's more parallel to something like GTK+ or
40 > QT.
41 >
42 > further, nesting aqua/win32 doesn't make sense as there is no
43 > valid profile where both flags would be available. USE=aqua can
44 > only be turned on in an OS X profile where your proposed
45 > USE=win32 would be masked (and vice versa). -mike
48 Well so far the only needs I have run into for the win32 flag has
49 been in relation to choosing UI toolkit support for cairo and gtk+
50 (and possibly others in the future), which is why I saw the parallel.
51
52 For my specific needs (mingw cross-compilation), yes leveraging
53 elibc_mingw would more than suffice, however there may be other
54 cases where configuring for the 'win32' or 'windows' UI toolkit
55 makes sense too -- apparently someone's built gtk+ for the win32
56 toolkit instead of X in cygwin and is distributing binaries (both
57 KERNEL and ELIBC differ there iirc), and I expect both the
58 prefix/windows/winnt or prefix/windows/Interix profiles would likely
59 benefit from this configuration too, but both of those iirc use
60 different ELIBC values compared to mingw.