From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new USE="win32" flag for mingw and prefix/windows support
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:17:17
1 On 20 Apr 2016 21:01, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 20 April 2016 at 18:52, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > > After doing some experimentation with a mingw crossdev, I found that I
4 > > needed to do a lot of EXTRA_ECONF settings in combination with
5 > > USE="aqua" in order to get packages supporting a win32 API to be
6 > > configured appropriately. In order to support this situation better,
7 > > I propose adding a new global flag 'win32', modelled after the 'aqua'
8 > > flag, that can be used instead to provide this configuration directly
9 > > in ebuilds.
10 > >
11 > > Just like USE="aqua", the flag will be use.mask'ed in base/ so that
12 > > users don't erroneously enable it. I didn't un-use.mask it anywhere
13 > > yet since (A) I don't have a prefix/windows environment to test, and
14 > > (B) the mingw-based crossdev environments use profiles/embedded by
15 > > default, which doesn't inherit from profiles/base and so doesn't have
16 > > the use.mask restriction.
17 > >
18 > > The attached patch lists the necessary changes to profile/ as well as
19 > > the addition of USE=win32 to *ONE VERSION* of gtk+:2, gtk+:3 and cairo
20 > > (the actual commit will include more versions).
21 > >
22 > > Comments?
23 >
24 > You should be able to achieve similar behavior by looking at libc
25 > and/or CHOST without introducing new USE flag, just like we do for
26 > aix/solaris/freebsd etc...
27
28 agreed ... we have kernel_Winnt & elibc_Winnt already. i think
29 those represent a mingw environment (vs a cygwin env).
30
31 i don't think a parallel to aqua makes sense. aqua is a specific UI
32 toolkit in OS X. it's more parallel to something like GTK+ or QT.
33
34 further, nesting aqua/win32 doesn't make sense as there is no valid
35 profile where both flags would be available. USE=aqua can only be
36 turned on in an OS X profile where your proposed USE=win32 would be
37 masked (and vice versa).
38 -mike