From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new USE="win32" flag for mingw and prefix/windows support
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:01:59
1 On 20 April 2016 at 18:52, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi everyone:
4 >
5 > After doing some experimentation with a mingw crossdev, I found that I
6 > needed to do a lot of EXTRA_ECONF settings in combination with
7 > USE="aqua" in order to get packages supporting a win32 API to be
8 > configured appropriately. In order to support this situation better,
9 > I propose adding a new global flag 'win32', modelled after the 'aqua'
10 > flag, that can be used instead to provide this configuration directly
11 > in ebuilds.
12 >
13 > Just like USE="aqua", the flag will be use.mask'ed in base/ so that
14 > users don't erroneously enable it. I didn't un-use.mask it anywhere
15 > yet since (A) I don't have a prefix/windows environment to test, and
16 > (B) the mingw-based crossdev environments use profiles/embedded by
17 > default, which doesn't inherit from profiles/base and so doesn't have
18 > the use.mask restriction.
19 >
20 > The attached patch lists the necessary changes to profile/ as well as
21 > the addition of USE=win32 to *ONE VERSION* of gtk+:2, gtk+:3 and cairo
22 > (the actual commit will include more versions).
23 >
24 > Comments?
25
26 You should be able to achieve similar behavior by looking at libc
27 and/or CHOST without introducing new USE flag, just like we do for
28 aix/solaris/freebsd etc...