From: Brian Jones <briankjones99@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] boot says I didn't compile DEVFS support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:59:13
1 It's not there! UGH!
2
3 My file system section has '/dev/pty' support, then
4 '/proc' support, but no '/dev file system support'!!!
5
6 Did I do something wrong? Is this due to some change
7 in the 2.4.16 config? Was I supposed to add a patch
8 before I config'ed?
9
10 Thanks for the help
11 --- Jano Lukac <jano@××××××××××××.net> wrote:
12 > Brian Jones said:
13 > > Hi all.
14 >
15 > Hi
16 >
17 > <snip>
18 > > I did some reading about devfs to see if it
19 > > was used for anything the kernel I made didn't
20 > > support. It's used for UNIX PTYs, but I have that
21 > in
22 > > there. I had everything enabled and BUILT IN that
23 > I
24 > > could figure out belonged there. I also compiled
25 > the
26 > > Virtual File System stuff in there. Can anyone
27 > tell
28 > > direct me to the menu entry I missed?
29 >
30 > Sure.. in menuconfig, go to filesystems, and build
31 > in "/dev file system
32 > support" It's right below /proc filesystem support
33 > and above /dev/pts
34 > filesystem support. DO NOT select the
35 > "Automatically mount at boot"
36 > options!
37 >
38 > > My grub install went well and the grub screen came
39 > up
40 > > fine. My menu.lst just has the basic timeout,
41 > root=
42 > > and stuff. After the first boot, I added
43 > > 'gentoo=nodevfs' to it - which I must admit I
44 > don't
45 > > understand - what is the label 'gentoo' a pointer
46 > to?
47 >
48 > Uhh.... not sure about this. There is a way to
49 > disable devfs at boot, but
50 > i don't remember how. Maybe something like
51 > devfs=disable or devfs=nodevfs
52 > or just nodevfs.
56 > > Anyway, I think I got everything going really
57 > well,
58 > > but unfortunately I can't boot properly so I'm
59 > > wondering if there's something I missed, and how
60 > this
61 > > might be fixed.
62 > >
63 > > I appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
64 > > Thanks,
65 > > njcajun
69 > > Do You Yahoo!?
70 > > Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
71 > > http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
73 > > gentoo-dev mailing list
74 > > gentoo-dev@g.o
81 > gentoo-dev mailing list