From: Jano Lukac <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] boot says I didn't compile DEVFS support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:23:15
1 Brian Jones said:
2 > Hi all.
3
4 Hi
5
6 <snip>
7 > I did some reading about devfs to see if it
8 > was used for anything the kernel I made didn't
9 > support. It's used for UNIX PTYs, but I have that in
10 > there. I had everything enabled and BUILT IN that I
11 > could figure out belonged there. I also compiled the
12 > Virtual File System stuff in there. Can anyone tell
13 > direct me to the menu entry I missed?
14
15 Sure.. in menuconfig, go to filesystems, and build in "/dev file system
16 support" It's right below /proc filesystem support and above /dev/pts
17 filesystem support. DO NOT select the "Automatically mount at boot"
18 options!
19
20 > My grub install went well and the grub screen came up
21 > fine. My menu.lst just has the basic timeout, root=
22 > and stuff. After the first boot, I added
23 > 'gentoo=nodevfs' to it - which I must admit I don't
24 > understand - what is the label 'gentoo' a pointer to?
25
26 Uhh.... not sure about this. There is a way to disable devfs at boot, but
27 i don't remember how. Maybe something like devfs=disable or devfs=nodevfs
28 or just nodevfs.
32 > Anyway, I think I got everything going really well,
33 > but unfortunately I can't boot properly so I'm
34 > wondering if there's something I missed, and how this
35 > might be fixed.
36 >
37 > I appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
38 > Thanks,
39 > njcajun
43 > Do You Yahoo!?
44 > Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
45 > http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
47 > gentoo-dev mailing list
48 > gentoo-dev@g.o