From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Creating a USE_EXPAND for ssl providers
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:06:02
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 30/05/14 08:03 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
5 > On 05/29/14 23:21, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
6 >> USE_EXPAND generally works or is meant to work when all
7 >> participating ebuilds are ok with working from the exact same set
8 >> of flags.
9 >
10 > Not at all. There are a several counter examples but one
11 > particularly close to what I'm proposing is LINGUAS. Look at how
12 > it is used in postgresql-base:
13 >
14 > LINGUAS="af cs de en es fa fr hr hu it ko nb pl pt_BR ro ru sk sl
15 > sv tr zh_CN zh_TW"
16 >
17 > for lingua in ${LINGUAS} ; do IUSE+=" linguas_${lingua}" done
18 >
19 > Only a few of the 251 linguas listed in profiles/desc/linguas.desc
20 > are used.
23 That's a bit of a different case -- if a package doesn't support any
24 of the LINGUAS that a user chooses, then the user just gets the
25 package that would be the same as having LINGUAS unset. And this is
26 perfectly fine, because everything (afaik) provides either 'en' or an
27 unspecified 'C' type locale by default.
28
29 If a user has i.e. SSL="polarssl" in make.conf and emerges things that
30 don't have polarssl on their list, then those things won't have SSL
31 support at all, right?
34 > Fallback logic would have to be on a per ebuild basis. It makes
35 > no sense otherwise. Eg. There is no preferred ssl provider for
36 > curl and USE=ssl there simply means "curl will have an ssl layer"
37 > without prejudice as to the backend that will provide that ssl
38 > layer.
41 I thought the main purpose of this was to avoid a bunch of per-package
42 fallback logic? IE, what's the difference in using the SSL use expand
43 here, or just having packages directly IUSE="+ssl gnutls +openssl nss
44 polarssl" with standardized global use flags? the only consistency
45 that I see the SSL use-expand providing is an enforcement of the flags
46 that will be used to identify a particular implementation, and i'm
47 pretty sure we already have that...
50 > No. What's wrong with
51 >
52 > REQUIRED_USE=" ssl? ( ^^ ( curl_ssl_axtls curl_ssl_cyassl
53 > curl_ssl_gnutls curl_ssl_openssl curl_ssl_nss curl_ssl_polarssl
54 > curl_ssl_winssl ) )"
57 Nothing at all, but I don't see a generic global SSL USE_EXPAND adding
58 any particular benefit, either. What are the intended benefits to
59 this, besides aesthetics??
60
61 USE_EXPANDs are meant to be globally set; when they need to be dealt
62 with per-package, they get messy and annoying for end users -- that's
63 one of the main issues i've seen from the multilib eclass project,
64 since ABI_X86 et al really aren't meant to be set globally and
65 difficult-to-manage package.use mess arises out of it.
66
67 I know that USE_EXPANDs are handy in allowing the subset of packages
68 that use them to have an isolated set of use flags, but i'm not sure
69 if there's really a benefit to having a separation of i.e. 'nss' and
70 'ssl_nss' in an end-user's USE ??
71