From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: KDE 3.4 visibility support disabled
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:50:56
1 Marcus D. Hanwell posted <200505261205.40902.cryos@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 26 May 2005 12:05:36 +0100:
3
4 > It seems that this has already been answered, but the KDE bug contains
5 > some more of the detail. It looks like KDE 3.5/4 is the target for getting
6 > proper visibility support. We haven't taken this decision lightly, and I
7 > believe it is the best option we have for a stable desktop.
8 >
9 > KDE/QT 4 should have much improved visibility support, and I will be
10 > testing them once it is workable and I have a little spare time
11
12 Yes, I'm pretty much resigned to having to wait until kde4 for proper gcc4
13 support, but am /really/ looking forward to that!
14
15 BTW, it's a bit off topic for this thread, but if there's someplace you
16 could point me to with updated info on what's happening to arts and/or
17 what's going to be replacing it in kde4, I know quite a number of folks
18 that are interested. It seems I knew more than most when the topic came
19 up in at least two groups (the amd64 list, and the local *ix group here at
20 Cox), but my info is now severely outdated, since most of it is from last
21 year's aKademy coverage and the like, when the only thing really settled
22 was that 3.4 would continue to use ARTS and they would look at a
23 replacement for 4.0. Now that 4.0 is getting closer, one would hope the
24 kde4 sound question has been resolved rather more concretely than that,
25 and as I said, I know a lot of folks (certainly myself included) that will
26 be interested in learning more about whatever has been concluded.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
32 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list