From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:49:37
1 On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:40:11 +0000 David Morgan <david.morgan@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | Since when is a machine with 256MB "low on ram"? (it's also a P4,
4 | though only 1.8GHz, but that's not really relevant)
5
6 That's very relevant. If you were on a sparc32 box I could understand
7 256MBytes RAM, but on a GHz+ machine???
8
9 | > Naah, I'd go for the warning with maybe an ebeep. If you really must
10 | > have a force thingie, it shouldn't be a USE flag, since USE flags
11 | > are for things which affect the resultant program
12 |
13 | The idea isn't to have a USE flag, but to do something like in the
14 | xorg-x11-6.8.0-r{2,4} ebuilds:
15 <snip>
16 | Except that it only fails if they don't have enough memory and if the
17 | variable isn't set. It's a nasty solution, but it can potentially stop
18 | bug reports about X randomly being killed. (After all, there's a high
19 | chance that someone won't notice any other sort of warning, beep or
20 | no)
21
22 I'm reaaallllllly not a fan of hacks like that. If the user has kill on
23 OOM turned on then they should expect to have processes zapped if they
24 run out of memory.
27 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
28 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
29 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm