From: David Morgan <david.morgan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:57:19
1 On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:49:21 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:40:11 +0000 David Morgan <david.morgan@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Since when is a machine with 256MB "low on ram"? (it's also a P4,
5 > | though only 1.8GHz, but that's not really relevant)
6 >
7 > That's very relevant. If you were on a sparc32 box I could understand
8 > 256MBytes RAM, but on a GHz+ machine???
11 I don't know about now, but not so long ago 2GHz+ PCs with only 256MB
12 of RAM were being sold
13
14 > | > Naah, I'd go for the warning with maybe an ebeep. If you really must
15 > | > have a force thingie, it shouldn't be a USE flag, since USE flags
16 > | > are for things which affect the resultant program
17 > |
18 > | The idea isn't to have a USE flag, but to do something like in the
19 > | xorg-x11-6.8.0-r{2,4} ebuilds:
20 > <snip>
21 > | Except that it only fails if they don't have enough memory and if the
22 > | variable isn't set. It's a nasty solution, but it can potentially stop
23 > | bug reports about X randomly being killed. (After all, there's a high
24 > | chance that someone won't notice any other sort of warning, beep or
25 > | no)
26 >
27 > I'm reaaallllllly not a fan of hacks like that. If the user has kill on
28 > OOM turned on then they should expect to have processes zapped if they
29 > run out of memory.
32 Isn't it turned on by default? (in fact I didn't realise that things
33 could happen any other way...)
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list