From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Breakage and frustration
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:04:33
1 On 12/14/2015 02:58 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3 >> The key point to remember is that it is NOT neccessary to be part of
4 >> the team in order to contribute solutions. You *first* contribute
5 >> solutions and only *then* have a chance of becoming part of the team.
6 >>
7 >> I for one am working in my non-existant spare time on a fast
8 >> ChangeLog generator.
9 >>
10 > ++, and thanks.
11 >
12 > I was actually trying to think beyond this point though. Right now we
13 > have lots of infra stuff that the infra team would probably love to
14 > publish except there is no easy way to do it without creating security
15 > issues (intermixing of credentials and code, etc). We have a few devs
16 > who have access to all of it, but their time needs to be split between
17 > keeping the current state working, and trying to build some future
18 > state which is easier to contribute to. For the rest of our part, we
19 > do need to put up and start building things.
20 >
21 > So, how do we get from that to a future state where our infra servers
22 > have public backups or whatever minus /etc/credentials.include and
23 > /var/spool/private-email and so on? That is, a future state where the
24 > default is open with necessary exceptions? And how do we do it with
25 > what we have, or are able to get?
26 >
27 > I just want to be constructive. Clearly the first step is to
28 > acknowledge that the onus is on those who really want to see change to
29 > chip in to make it happen. We have to be here to serve - this is a
30 > volunteer FOSS project.
31 >
32 Y'know ...
33
34 If I had access to things I could help. But I don't, so I can't.
35
36 The rather obvious solutions seem to be politically impossible, and the
37 politically possible solutions are not satisfactory.