From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Breakage and frustration
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 13:58:40
1 On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > The key point to remember is that it is NOT neccessary to be part of
4 > the team in order to contribute solutions. You *first* contribute
5 > solutions and only *then* have a chance of becoming part of the team.
6 >
7 > I for one am working in my non-existant spare time on a fast
8 > ChangeLog generator.
11 ++, and thanks.
12
13 I was actually trying to think beyond this point though. Right now we
14 have lots of infra stuff that the infra team would probably love to
15 publish except there is no easy way to do it without creating security
16 issues (intermixing of credentials and code, etc). We have a few devs
17 who have access to all of it, but their time needs to be split between
18 keeping the current state working, and trying to build some future
19 state which is easier to contribute to. For the rest of our part, we
20 do need to put up and start building things.
21
22 So, how do we get from that to a future state where our infra servers
23 have public backups or whatever minus /etc/credentials.include and
24 /var/spool/private-email and so on? That is, a future state where the
25 default is open with necessary exceptions? And how do we do it with
26 what we have, or are able to get?
27
28 I just want to be constructive. Clearly the first step is to
29 acknowledge that the onus is on those who really want to see change to
30 chip in to make it happen. We have to be here to serve - this is a
31 volunteer FOSS project.
34 Rich