From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Breakage and frustration
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:49:09
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > a big question is how to make it happen without just throwing
3 > complaints on the folks who are trying their best to keep it all going.
4
5 The answer to this is the same as it has always been:
6
7 Demonstrate that you are capable and reliable and given social
8 compatibility then after some time you too can become a part of
9 the team.
10
11 This is the way most open source projects, actually most human
12 projects work. Maintainers are not picked at random when there
13 is high load, but trusted long-time contributors are promoted
14 to maintainers when they shine.
15
16 The more you complain instead of send patches, the less likely you
17 are to ever become part of the solution.
20 The key point to remember is that it is NOT neccessary to be part of
21 the team in order to contribute solutions. You *first* contribute
22 solutions and only *then* have a chance of becoming part of the team.
23
24 I for one am working in my non-existant spare time on a fast
25 ChangeLog generator.
28 //Peter