From: "Bryan Ãstergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Bugzilla access for contributors
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:30:26
1 On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 08:38:19PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Stefan Schweizer wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > as requested by multiple devrel members I have written a GLEP to standardize
6 > > bugzilla access for contributors. It has already been discussed on the
7 > > devrel mailing list before but I am looking for a wider opinion now.
8 > >
9 > > This is also a submission for the new council when it meets.
10 > >
11 > > Best regards,
12 > > Stefan
13 >
14 > Errr. on -devrel you noted you would just make people take the ebuild
15 > quiz and now devrel wants a GLEP again?
16 >
17 > I'll state the same thing I stated on that list.
18 >
19 > A. This already happens. I had bugs access for MONTHS before becoming
20 > a dev; I got assigned to the portage buggroup and I could edit portage
21 > bugs. Anyone already on the portage team could add me, so no nastiness
22 > for recruiters (or anyone else).
23 If people are randomly given bugzie privs (or any other privs) this is
24 something we need to fix. And just to make this clear to all - handing
25 out privs is only half the equation and it's already hard enough for
26 recruiters to keep track of devs even though we have well defined
27 procedures etc. for that.
28 >
29 > B. Double bonus is that I don't even see why a GLEP is required? This
30 > is a small subset of users using one resource (bugzilla) so perhaps
31 > Infra and devrel and you can work out the requisite groups? Why is
32 > there all this red tape?
33 Because it's going to affect all devs if people don't need to pass
34 quizzes (or we lower the threshhold substantially) before they can
35 reassign, close, reopen etc. the maintainers bugs.
36 >
37 > Create a group; come up with a subset of bugs that they can access, add
38 > user to group -> done. As long as they can't access my bugs; I really
39 > shouldn't (and trust me I don't) care.
40 Who's going to admin that? We already have the Arch Tester / Herd Tester
41 projects that defines a proper way of achieving the goal as I see it.
42
43 Only problem with Herd Testers / Arch Testers compared to genstefs goal
44 is that HTs/ATs deal with packages in the tree while sunrise
45 contributors deal with packages outside the tree.
46
47 And personally I'd very much like to draw the line somewhere. Genstef
48 made the GLEP extremely vague regarding contributors (on purpose) but
49 guess what? Everybody who files a new bug, submits a fixed ebuild etc.
50 are contributors. So should we just remove all the restrictions now?
51 This is definitely something we need to define before moving on, no
52 matter if the GLEP is eventually denied or accepted.
53 >
54 > C. No real standard on any other fora. I don't need a GLEP to add
55 > someone to my project overlay, or grant them voice or ops in my
56 > project's IRC channel. I don't need a GLEP to get them subscribed to my
57 > mailing list and I don't need a GLEP to add them to (most) project
58 > aliases. Why does this require one?
59 Because this is about the entire Gentoo project and affects us all in a
60 very direct way as opposed to random projects.
61
62 Regards,
63 Bryan Østergaard
64 --