From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Repoman rewrite stage3. Migrate check data to the tree
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 18:36:36
1 On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:40:31 -0800
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 18:30:07 -0800
5 > Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > So, where do we place this directory and what rules do we
8 > > establish about it's modifications?
9 > >
10 > > location? : in the metadata dir alongside the install-qa-check.d
11 > > directory?
12 >
13 > That sounds reasonable to me, it is certainly metadata.
16 > > name of the directory? : repoman, qa-rules, qa-data,
17 > > repo-qa-data, ... ideas?
18 >
19 > Something not project name specific, so nothing about repoman. Perhaps
20 > something like "repo-checks", my personal vote would be make it a
21 > directory with the contents being merged (so repo-checks.d maybe?)
24 > > data format? : json (my favorite)
25 > > compatible with many lanquages/interfaces
26 > > is flexible to match various data types
27 > > ie: dictionaries, lists, strings...
28 > > is human readable/editable
29 > > can be validated
30 > >
31 > > xml (PLEASE NO!)
32 > >
33 > > native python file (too language dependant)
34 > >
35 > > ini style (python configparser compatible) meh :/
36 > >
37 > > other ideas?
38 >
39 > YAML - like JSON but made to be edited/read by humans (comment support
40 > is a big feature). Also valid JSON is valid YAML. Also can be
41 > validated just like JSON can.
42
43 OK, I just had a closer look at yaml. It does look easier for humans
44 to edit and read. And seems to have the same data type flexibility.
45 Maybe not quite as many languages have libs for it. But I don't think
46 that is an issue for this data.
49 I also want to separate the repoman release from the main portage
50 release. This will have several advantages.
51
52 1) smaller portage install for installs that don't need repoman
53 capabilities.
54
55 2) Repoman can add extra dependencies as needed for things like
56 pyyaml and xmlschema. These deps would not be required for the
57 base portage/emerge code. Keeping a base install stage3 lighter
58 and not complicate bootstrapping a stage1, stage2.
59
60 3) They can be released indendant of each other as the need for a
61 new release is desired/required. While repoman will still be tied
62 to the portage codebase. Most of it's code use is via fairly
63 stable API's. So only when those API's change will there need to
64 be a simultaneos release.
67 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>