From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo "Stable" Portage/Releases
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:06:27
1 Andrew Muraco posted <43C49047.5070302@×××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
2 on Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:57:43 -0500:
3
4 > The method described here would also open up the oppurtunity for "fake"
5 > enterprise trees, without having something to double check that the tree
6 > that we have is indeed the one that is wanted, it would be possible for a
7 > hacked rsync server (or a bogus one) to host the enterprise (stable) trees
8 > with extra ebuilds which could compromise security (/me thinks of emails
9 > warning about Microsoft's patchs and links which point to infectious
10 > websites.)
11
12 Remember, portage already has a decent amount of signed content
13 verification builtin, and is getting more. Just because it's not
14 currently used, as the debate on strength and keyring handling hasn't been
15 settled, doesn't mean the capacity doesn't exist.
16
17 At this point it should be possible to develop a working enterprise
18 security model along with the enterprise proposal and tree. Spec it out,
19 put the keys in a special dir on a read-only mounted partition, and it'll
20 be pretty hard to fake it on the fly, at least.
21
22 IOW, while it's certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, I'd
23 consider it no worse than anything else on the list, and probably
24 relatively minor compared to some of the other hurdles to be cleared on
25 the way to a decent enterprise Gentoo. I believe the biggest hurdles
26 will be finding the folks to do it and coordinating them to actually get
27 and keep it going.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list