From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo "Stable" Portage/Releases
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:45:30
1 On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 00:03 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > Remember, portage already has a decent amount of signed content
3 > verification builtin, and is getting more. Just because it's not
4 > currently used, as the debate on strength and keyring handling hasn't been
5 > settled, doesn't mean the capacity doesn't exist.
6
7 One other advantage with this is we will be starting from a known
8 portage version. This allows us to not have to worry about backwards
9 compatibility. Want Manifest2 (and no Manifest/digests)? So long as
10 the version of portage supports it, we can switch to it completely on
11 these trees.
12
13 > At this point it should be possible to develop a working enterprise
14 > security model along with the enterprise proposal and tree. Spec it out,
15 > put the keys in a special dir on a read-only mounted partition, and it'll
16 > be pretty hard to fake it on the fly, at least.
17
18 Again, please don't consider my tree proposal as anything "enterprise",
19 at all. While it can be used as a *basis* for enterprise work, it does
20 not need to be relegated to any specific usage. It is simply a release
21 tree, with frozen package versions.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
26 x86 Architecture Team