From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo "Stable" Portage/Releases
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:34:01
1 On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:38:30AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 00:03 -0700, Duncan wrote:
3 > > Remember, portage already has a decent amount of signed content
4 > > verification builtin, and is getting more. Just because it's not
5 > > currently used, as the debate on strength and keyring handling hasn't been
6 > > settled, doesn't mean the capacity doesn't exist.
7 >
8 > One other advantage with this is we will be starting from a known
9 > portage version. This allows us to not have to worry about backwards
10 > compatibility.
11
12 Reliant on portage- we're sitting on forward/backward compatibility
13 handling for ebuilds (EAPI), few months before we cut over and require
14 people to be running an EAPI capable portage- that said, we don't have
15 any versionning yet for profiles.
16
17 Proposals welcome for that one, since it's required (recall the 2.0.50
18 bug for cascaded profiles, anyone? ;).
19 ~harring