From: Daniel Mettler <mettlerd@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] pcmcia/nic module problem
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:26:04
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 hi all,
5
6 first: i hope this is the right list now. previously i sent this
7 message to desktop@gentoo which definitely seemed to be wrong.
8 now i was told to send it to gentoo-dev@gentoo.
9
10 second: thanks to all developers of gentoo linux. i already
11 tried quite many linux and *bsd distros and the impression i
12 have from gentoo linux so far is a very positive one.
13
14 now to my question: i installed gentoo on my clean sony vaio
15 n505x notebook. everything worked pretty well during the
16 installation but there is an error when it comes to networking
17 with my accton en2216 pccard. it fails loading the particular
18 pcnet_cs module. as a consequence all other networking things
19 are not working too. if i do a 'modprobe pcnet_cs' there is in
20 about the following error:
21
22 linux pcmcia card services 3.1.26
23 kernel build: 2.4.4-ac9 #1 Sat Jun 30 14:23:25 Local time zone
24 must be set--see zic manual page 2001
26 ds: no socket drivers loaded!
27 /lib/modules/2.2.4-ac9/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not
28 permitted Hint: insmod errors can be cause by incorrect module
29 parameters, including ivalid io or irq parameters
30 /lib/modules/2.4.4-ac9/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod
31 /lib/modules/2.4.4-ac9/pcmcia/ds.o failed
32 unloading PCMCIA Card Services
33 /lib/modules/2.4.4-ac9/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod pcnet_cs failed
34
35 if i do a plain 'insmod pcnet_cs' there are a lot of error
36 messages about unresolved symbols. i already used the notebook
37 including this nic working correctly with another distro, thus
38 there is probably no hardware failure. i do not remember that i
39 ever had to supply parameters for this module to work with this
40 nic.
41 afaik i did all according to the install guides of gentoo
42 linux.
43
44 i just wonder what this message about the missing local time
45 zone is? i actually already created the symlink from
46 /etc/localtime to /usr/share/zoneinfo/MET. is there anything
47 else to do with timezones? what might be the reasons for these
48 errors and how can i fix or work around them to make networking
49 work fine?
50
51 regards and thanks for your help.
52
53 dani
54
55 ps. i use gentoo linux v1.0_rc5
56
57 - --
58 Daniel Mettler http://www.icu.unizh.ch/~mettlerd
59
60 All general statements are false. (The Ultimate Law)
61