From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Some new xorg ebuilds
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:43:49
1 Donnie Berkholz posted <42669E8E.8000700@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:25:18 -0700:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> Will xorg 6.9 (monolithic) and 7.0 (modularized) exist at the same
6 >> time?
7 >
8 > I haven't decided yet. Well-justified arguments one way or the other
9 > would be useful.
10 >
11 > Whatever upstream's versioning scheme is will be followed here. I expect
12 > that versions will be independent of the "xorg" release number, but I'm
13 > not positive.
14 >
15 >> Finally, are all the Gentoo local system location changes now complete?
16 >
17 > Gentoo-local changes should be done, although upstream may be changing
18 > /usr/lib/modules to /usr/lib/xserver/modules or something along those
19 > lines, and perhaps a few similar changes.
20 >
21 >> Also, one more question, local xorg configuration related.
22 >
23 > http://www.botchco.com/alex/dualhead/ might help. It's by the guy who
24 > does much of the dual-head work in Xorg.
25
26 Thanks. From the (previous) link, it appears upstream versions will
27 indeed be independent, definitely so for hardware driver modules, anyway,
28 since the various vendors (at least those open sourcing) will be able to
29 directly control nearly all aspects of those modules, including
30 versioning, and at least some of them will obviously have their own
31 versioning schemes to follow.
32
33 That documentation provides as strong a clue as I've yet seen that ATI may
34 yet open up newer drivers again. The mentions of new/experimental Radeon
35 9800+ DRI support were interesting as well. I had a couple paragraphs
36 written on this but then decided the dev list wasn't the place to be
37 spamming it, so I'll just comment that this gives me new reasons for hope.
38
39 Thanks for the dualhead link as well. It's in my bookmarks now, for sure!
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
45 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list