Gentoo Archives: gentoo-dev

From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some new xorg ebuilds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:25:10
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] Re: Some new xorg ebuilds by Duncan <>
2 Hash: SHA1
4 Duncan wrote:
5 > Is the modularization going to be handled much as the KDE splits were
6 > handled? That is, as with KDE having both the multilithic (multi- due to
7 > still having multiple category packages) and split ebuilds available for
8 > 3.4, will xorg 6.9 (current imake monolithic build system, according to
9 > the link above) and 7.0 (modularized autotools based build) exist at the
10 > same time, with xorg-7.0 being effectively a meta-ebuild of the multiple
11 > individual packages, similar to kdebase-meta, or will we switch to
12 > modularized immediately (or...)?
14 I haven't decided yet. Well-justified arguments one way or the other
15 would be useful.
17 > Once we go 7.0/modularized, what will it look like in terms of the
18 > versioning of the individual components? As with KDE, are they going to
19 > say in sync with the main upstream release, with individual new package
20 > versions getting -rN revision numbers, or are we going to have individual
21 > package versions with no relation to the xorg release, save for the
22 > xorg-7.x meta-ebuild having deps on >= whatever the highest component
23 > ebuild version for that particular package was at that point?
25 It's going to be quite different from KDE, because xorg upstream will be
26 modularized and separately versioned, rather than us breaking up their
27 semi-monolithic releases. Whatever upstream's versioning scheme is will
28 be followed here. I expect that versions will be independent of the
29 "xorg" release number rather than tracking it like in GNOME, but I'm not
30 positive.
32 > More to the immediate point, are the 6.8.99 snapshots going to be
33 > modularized more or less as they become available upstream (if it's not
34 > already happening, I haven't yet checked), or should we (I) expect a 6.99
35 > modularized meta-package set of snapshots to become available at some
36 > point?
38 Roughly as it happens upstream. I'm not going to waste time duplicating
39 the same work myself.
41 > Finally, are all the Gentoo local system location changes now (as of
42 > 6.8.2-r1 or r2?) complete, or are there still more coming? IOW, are we
43 > testers now testing /only/ new xorg code, or are we still testing local
44 > system location changes as well?
46 Gentoo-local changes should be done, although upstream may be changing
47 /usr/lib/modules to /usr/lib/xserver/modules or something along those
48 lines, and perhaps a few similar changes.
50 > Also, one more question, local xorg configuration related. I'm currently
51 > running dual VGA screen xinerama on a single dual-output Radeon AGP card.
52 > I'd /love/ to be able to run dual cards, an AGP and a PCI, letting me run
53 > up to four monitors, but have tried several different hardware
54 > arrangements and save for the success I had some time ago with a GForce2
55 > and NVidia's proprietary drivers (totalling three monitors on two cards),
56 > I've not gotten it working. Is there an official list of dual card
57 > supporting xorg drivers, anywhere, and/or perhaps an xorg-user list
58 > dealing with such things? I did notice the note about r128 now supporting
59 > dual-card layout in the changes since 6.8.2 doc linked from above, which
60 > again reminded me that I'd like to get it working. 2 x 2048x1536, 21"
61 > monitors, stacked for 2048x3072, is nice, but a 2x2 layout for 4096x3072
62 > total display area would DEFINITELY be nicer! =8^)
64 might help. It's by the guy who
65 does much of the dual-head work in Xorg.
67 Thanks,
68 Donnie
70 Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
72 iD8DBQFCZp6NXVaO67S1rtsRAlh+AJ9gVh+XJBRx+fgyI2GTXahrKhV0TwCeLcK+
73 FppJ7E1Kv2FlgxuaZveT9Ws=
74 =44BN
75 -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
76 --
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list


Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Some new xorg ebuilds Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>