From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Matthew Marlowe <matt@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 01:53:28
1 On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 12:37:00AM +0000, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > > Hi all -
3 > > To start preparing for 2004.2 in July, releng is opening up Feature
4 > > Requests that the community would like to see included in 2004.2. The
5 > > last day that we are accepting requests is Friday, May 7th at which
6 > > point releng will hold a meeting and decide which requests are
7 > > feasible for both the alloted time and workload.
8 >
9 > The biggest issues I've had with current and prior gentoo releases is
10 > the kernel. I've configured a couple dozen dell boxes of different
11 > models over the last 6 months using 1.4, 2004.0, and 2004.1, and
12 > invariably one or more of the following occurs:
13 >
14 > - smp kernel locks up completely during hardware detection.
15
16 That's nasty. Did you report to the hotplug/kernel people?
17
18 Hardware detection is hard for all systems. If it's not
19 USB/PCI/Firewire, it is _very_ hard.
20
21 > - basic gentoo kernel runs, but doesn't always autodetect raid or network drivers
22 > - forced migration to lvm2, because the kernel is configured in 2004.0 for lvm2
23
24 lvm1 is dead, please migrate as no one is supporting that anymore.
25
26 > - 1-3 processors are idle during system installs because of various smp/apic issues
27
28 With a 2.6 kernel you should not have this problem. You did try this
29 with the 2.6 kernel, right?
30
31 thanks,
32