From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:50:14
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On 11/28/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 19:10 Tue 27 Nov , Alec Warner wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> No, because this is not a realistic requirement, it's an ideal case.
7 >>> People will just commit changes without documentation anyway.
8 >>>
9 >> Here's my understanding of what you said: Because people will break
10 >> rules and violate standards, we shouldn't have any.
11 >>
12 >> Is that accurate?
16 > Kind of.
17 >
18 > Most people follow most rules. Most people break a subset of rules.
19 >
20 > You are essentially adding an unreasonable (in my view) rule that I
21 > expect nearly everyone to break or ignore, thereby adding little or no
22 > value to the project as whole. Most people care about documentation
23 > in the abstract sense, almost no one cares *enough* to write any ;)
24 >
25 > Forcing people to write documentation won't get it written, people
26 > will continue to act like we just saw and either the rule will get
27 > ignored, or someone will change the rule, or people will leave because
28 > the rule is enforced aggressively and it has ruined the ability to
29 > contribute to the project.
30 >
31 > This is why I offered to write the GLEP for Diego and Cardoe, because
32 > I know they are not interested in writing it themselves. Thats why we
33 > have a doc-team that for some sick reason enjoy writing and
34 > maintaining documentation.
35 >
36 > -Alec
37 >
38 Load of crap. I wrote full documentation and provided patches to the
39 Developer Handbook, where metadata is documented. A GLEP is a terrible
40 place to document this since you have to read through 5 different GLEPs
41 and automatically cross out the parts that are no longer valid or have
42 been replaced by newer parts of the GLEP. Which is why once again, the
43 GLEP is stupid and one central location on one topic should be kept up
44 to date. As I have done.
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list