From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving the support for minor arches and less common profiles in CI
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2018 20:25:41
1 W dniu sob, 06.01.2018 o godzinie 12∶10 +0100, użytkownik Michał Górny
2 napisał:
3 > So I'm thinking of an alternate idea: to start adding staging warnings
4 > for additional profile class, combined with arch restriction. In other
5 > words, change CI from:
6 >
7 > -p stable
8 >
9 > to:
10 >
11 > -p stable,something -a alpha,amd64,...,mips,...
12 >
13 > with a separate class for NonSolvableDeps in non-stable profiles (like
14 > repoman's badindev/badinexp) that triggers only a staging-class warning.
15 >
16 > However, this means that:
17 >
18 > ১. We need to settle for either dev or exp being 'more' supported,
19 > and drop all unsupported profiles to the other group.
20 >
21 > ২. We need to fix the appropriate class of profiles for stable arches
22 > (or move them to the other group).
23 >
24 > ৩. The arches in question still need to generate reasonably low number
25 > of warnings.
28 I'd like to follow this with a more precise proposal. Namely, redefine
29 the current profile statuses to apply the following:
30
31 a. stable -> fully tested, all depgraph breakages are errors,
32
33 b. exp -> fully tested, all depgraph breakages are warnings,
34
35 c. dev -> developer's playground, not tested.
38 This would specifically mean that:
39
40 1. Any 'exp' profiles with serious breakage will temporarily be
41 downgraded to 'dev'.
42
43 2. A 'dev' profile can be upgraded to 'exp' if its scale of depgraph
44 breakage is reasonable (i.e. doesn't clutter the QA report with too many
45 warnings).
46
47 3. A 'exp' profile can be upgraded to 'stable' only if it has no
48 depgraph breakages.
49
50 I don't have a strong opinion on whether we should pursue marking all
51 profiles 'stable', or if we support keeping 'exp' indefinitely.
54 The CI would be updated to test 'exp' profiles and report staging
55 warnings appropriately. Repoman would be updated to have warning-class
56 dependency.badinexp (like it has for .badindev right now) and to check
57 exp profiles by default.
58
59 Your thoughts?
62 Best regards,