From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] about stable, dev and exp profile status
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:43:45
1 On 07-01-2018 21:25:28 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > I'd like to follow this with a more precise proposal. Namely, redefine
3 > the current profile statuses to apply the following:
4 >
5 > a. stable -> fully tested, all depgraph breakages are errors,
6 >
7 > b. exp -> fully tested, all depgraph breakages are warnings,
8 >
9 > c. dev -> developer's playground, not tested.
10
11 I always was under the impression the following order (and explanation)
12 was the case:
13
14 stable -> development -> experimental
15
16 For this reason, e.g. Prefix profiles are (still) experimental, which
17 means they really shouldn't bother non-Prefix people. Prefix users and
18 developers work on an environment where those profiles are promoted to
19 development ones, such that repoman kicks in for their work. (At least
20 that was the idea.)
21
22 I see you (re-)define dev as "developer's playground", and I wonder if
23 in that case it wouldn't be better to introduce a new one instead?
24
25 Maybe I'm just one of a few who thinks the order is reversed now.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Fabian
31 Fabian Groffen