From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] System hangup w/ X taking 100% cpu
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:50:40
1 On Thursday 13 December 2001 21:38, you wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Dan
4 >
5 > What version kernel, nvidia driver and filesystem are you
6 > running?
7 I have kernel 2.4.16 w/ the std patches from portage, nvidia 2314 and
8 reiserfs.
11 > I updated my nvidia drivers to the latest 2313, and only had
12 > problems (screen corruption, lockups, etc) on a system that
13 > had been running stable for a long time now. i went back to
14 > the previous version, and it is 100% again. I also had problems with my
15 > old savage and sertain drivers.
16 >
17 > Then, nearly a year back, I had the same type of problems
18 > (lockups), but this was due to bad ram, and a kernel/reiserfs
19 > and hardware compat problem.
20 Things now seem to have stablizied somewhat after I turned on a 1024x768x16M
21 vesa framebuffer for the console. Now it only hangs like that when I press
22 Fn+F5, the hotkey for switching between the builtin and external screeens.
23 Still I wouldn't call it completely stable.
24
25 But I've just found out another possible cause; I compiled agpgart into the
26 kernel instead of as a module, and now I can't use NVAGP althuogh I want to.
27 So I'll switch that and see if it helps.
31 Dan Armak
32 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
33 Matan, Israel