From: Matti Bickel <kabel@××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:08:47
1 Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o> wrote:
2 > Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > Corey Shields wrote: [Fri Nov 18 2005, 10:42:30PM CST]
4 > >
5 > >>Still screwed up. Lesson learned, make friends with a majority of the
6 > >>council, write and propose a glep the day before a meeting and then push it
7 > >>through. wow. sounds a lot like American politics.
8 > >
9 > > That's quite an indictment. You've skipped right past the notion that
10 > > perhaps a mistake was made to accuse the Council of cronyism.
11
12 Everybody reading the council-transcripts would eventually agree that
13 the GLEP was properly discussed. The rejection of the GLEP first time
14 was part of the conspiracy too, i spose?
15
16 Come on. I do agree that timing and communication was bad. However i
17 happened to ping hparker just a few days before the vote came up and
18 he pointed me to the svn changelog stating that the revised GLEP was
19 waiting there happily.
20
21 So in fact it was *not* a failure of a revised GLEP but a post to -dev.
22
23 > [...]
24 > So we took the median way, accept that GLEP with those changes nobody
25 > complained about, and create policy so that such things won't happen
26 > in the future. Apparently we were wrong on two accounts :
27
28 Taking the median way angers both extremes. But i regard the councils
29 decision as the least of 3 evils.
30
31 > - There were people that don't have an opinion on the subject but were
32 > watching the council for its first bad step to be able to accuse it of
33 > abuse of power or worse
34
35 Seeing this actually happen has driven me nuts. Hey, where's the spirit?
36 When i came in, i learned about finding the best technical solution to a
37 given problem. However with this hick-hack my respect for a few
38 developers has experienced a sharp decline.
39
40 > I won't stand (mostly) alone defending the Council handling of the
41 > problem, we were just trying to find the most acceptable solution, which
42 > is what we were elected for. Let the vocal minority reverse that
43 > decision, I no longer care.
44
45 :(
46 Wake up! We are having a 90+ thread about a email subdomain issue
47 turning into council bashing. What the heck?! This is a plea for sanity.
48 Please stick to the facts and lets find the best solution for this IMO
49 awfully little problem.
50
51 So more to the facts.
52 As a AT, the main point in having a @<something>g.o adress is, that
53 you're easily recognized. Email from and to devs and fellow AT/HTs is
54 spotted faster and priorized accordingly. (The same applys to IRC, IMHO)
55
56 Infra has made it clear that anything other then <something>==NULL will
57 be a pain in the ass. I agree with that point. Given that two arguments,
58 i'll go with the @g.o adress.
59
60 But please, if there's a majority of devs disagreeing: every AT, who's
61 spoken up here said that they don't care about the adress. So do i.
62 Email is just a tiny bit of the GLEP and IMHO the least important.
63 However the main idea was the tree access and i'm really looking forward
64 to see that implemented.
65
66 Regards,
67 Matti