From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 11:17:01
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 27.01.2017 kell 23:58, kirjutas Kent Fredric:
2 > On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 09:32:23 +0100
3 > Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm interested to hear how other people feel about this.
6 >
7 > Yeah. Pretty much my reaction to
8 >
9 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
10 >
11 > > The maintainer should be giving the choice of both,
12 > > but if only one can be chosen, the maintainer should make the
13 > > choice
14 > > for you by preferring one of them. Likely gdbm, given berkdb
15 > > licensing
16 > > saga.
17 >
18 > Brought the same question to me:
19 >
20 > If the design is intended to force your hand when you have both, what
21 > is indeed
22 > the point of a REQUIRED_USE feature at all?
23
24 It can be very useful in some cases, especially when these cases
25 involve local USE flags in a way that the errors come after enabling
26 something locally in an unsuitable way.
27 But yes, ideally the package manager would have a clue about what
28 happened for the cases like the one in question, but REQUIRED_USE
29 provided a faster solution to some of the problems that could be
30 implemented in package managers in a reasonable time for the EAPI this
31 was introduced in.
32 We could work on top of this in a future EAPI.
33
34 > If "choose a useflag for the user" is something that is happening, it
35 > should
36 > at least be *visible* to the user that this is happening, not being a
37 > silent
38 > decision that didn't allow the user to have any say in the matter.
39 >
40 > What if the feature you chose instead, was contrary to the one they
41 > wanted?
42 >
43 > If anything, I think this is a suggestion that *maybe* we should a
44 > way to
45 > specify a mechanism for allowing a default to be chosen from a
46 > mutually
47 > exclusive set, and then:
48
49 Sure, I have some thoughts for this and a rough draft, at least in my
50 head :)
51 I don't have it as a priority to sketch it out well alone, but if
52 someone is honestly interested, I could braindump my ideas in realtime
53 medium. Or someone thinks of them themselves :)
54
55 > a. Inform the user via pretend output that this automatic conflict
56 > reduction
57 >    has been performed
58 >
59 > b. Define a portage option that disables automatic conflict
60 > resolution for
61 >    required USE, so users who hate (a) can turn it off.
64 > But as it stands, Mart's suggestion of "Hey, just don't use required
65 > use,
66 > decide for the user" stands essentially as a regression against
67 > portage itself.