From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Winex-cvs being removed from portage?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:06:58
1 On Friday 25 July 2003 14:54, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > That's were Stallman and the GPL come in: The GPL keeps your work
3 > > available for all. Other licences may be abused.
4 >
5 > There is plenty of reason for other licenses, otherwise they would not
6 > exist. For example, if I wanted to create an open source application,
7 > yet also create a feature-enhanced binary only version, a BSD license
8 > would be a perfect choice for me to select.
9
10 Only if you wanted other people to also be able to create and distribute/sell
11 feature-enhanced binary-only versions without your explicit permission. If
12 you didn't want that the GPL would be perfect for you, because whatever
13 license you choose can't constrain you, only others.
16 Dan Armak
17 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
18 Matan, Israel
19 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
20 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951