From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] V2 Chromium access to Google services
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 00:08:03
1 On 3/8/21 5:19 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 2021-03-08 20:01, Stephan Hartmann wrote:
5 >> Starting March 15th, 2021 Google Chrome Team will restrict access to
6 >>  Google APIs and services that are reserved for Google use only. This
7 >>  means that users are no longer able to login into their Google
8 >> Accounts which disables access to for example Chrome Sync.
9 >
10 > Maybe outline that this will only affect browser functions. You can
11 > still log in into your Google Account when accessing
12 > https://accounts.google.com/.
15 >> As a consequence we have to remove Client ID and secret from all
16 >> www-client/chromium ebuilds. This change has already been done for
17 >> =www-client/chromium-89.0.4389.82. Other versions will be updated
18 >> shortly.
19 >
20 > My first reaction was: WTF?! Why remove... maybe add a reference to [2]
21 > already or quote
22 >
23 >> As explained in section above, signing in to Google web is rate
24 >> limited if the developer has configured a client ID and client
25 >> secret. To avoid hitting this limit in Chromium Derivatives, please
26 >> remove the OAuth 2.0 client ID and client secret from your build
27 >> configuration.
28 >
29 > directly in the news item.
30 As quantitative feedback helps, I second this! I had the exact same
31 reaction.
32
33 Aisha
36 > That said, I wonder if there's a use case to allow users to bake-in
37 > custom credentials. I know at least one large Gentoo setup distributing
38 > Firefox to its users with custom keys. This is possible via environment
39 > variables set at build time, see
40 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/www-client/firefox/firefox-86.0.ebuild?id=dfe26277ee7441d00d88da14691cfc48db85ac8a#n453
44 >> If you need one of the Google use only APIs, then you either have to
45 >>  switch to www-client/google-chrome{-beta,-unstable} or setup your
46 >> own keys [1].
47 >
48 > Should be
49 >
50 >   www-client/google-chrome{,-beta,-unstable}
51 >                           ^^^
54 >> However, the latter is only intended for development. Documentation
55 >> on how to generate and use own keys can be found in [2].
56 >
57 > I wouldn't mention that at all. Either there is suitable way to keep
58 > status quo or there isn't.
59 >
60 > My suggestion:
61 >
62 > <Tell what's happening and maybe explain why or link to Google's
63 > announcement>
64 >
65 > <Tell consequences for Gentoo, i.e. ebuilds will no longer have set
66 > client_id or client_secret as explained in last paragraph of [2].>
67 >
68 > <Tell user if they have own ids/secrets that they can set them via
69 > environment variable at runtime (and or build-time if you are going to
70 > support that) or add reference to [2] again.>