From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ports Security
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:17:47
1 On Thursday 04 September 2003 21:10, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > is there a guide like
5 > http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html#Security
6 > in progress? available?
7
8 uhh we have gentoo-hardened ... not sure what you're asking about ...
9
10 > Or even better tools bundled in a "esecurity_check":
11
12 putting this in an ebuild to be run everytime a pkg is unpacked is kind of
13 dumb (no offense meant) ... we have no 'automated' ways for portage to scan
14 source code looking for potential security issues, nor should there be ...
15 the responsibility lies on the upstream author and the gentoo maintainer, and
16 it should stop there ...
17 perhaps creating tools for developers to use when testing out a new pkg would
18 be feasible ... then again i think if you want a 'secure' box you should
19 follow the excellent work the gentoo-hardened team has put together ...
20 -mike