From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: vapier@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ports Security
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:07:49
1 On Friday 05 September 2003 04:17, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 04 September 2003 21:10, Jan Krueger wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > is there a guide like
6 > > http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html#Security
7 > > in progress? available?
8 >
9 > uhh we have gentoo-hardened ... not sure what you're asking about ...
10 I am asking about something like
11 http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html#Security
12
13 a guide for portage developers how to make sure the things installed are
14 secure. Just like
15 http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html#Security
16
17 And i am asking about a way for me, the user, administrator, to check the
18 potential security impacts of the software to install before it is put into
19 action.
20
21 > > Or even better tools bundled in a "esecurity_check":
22 >
23 > putting this in an ebuild to be run everytime a pkg is unpacked is kind of
24 > dumb (no offense meant) ...
25 Thats your point of view.
26
27 > we have no 'automated' ways for portage to scan
28 > source code looking for potential security issues, nor should there be ...
29 > the responsibility lies on the upstream author and the gentoo maintainer,
30 > and it should stop there ...
31 No, it should not. Site Security doesnt stop at the ebuild maintainer.
32 I, as a potential user of "trusted gentoo", would like to have a way to verify
33 the work of the developer. I might want to use 3rd party ebuilds, commercial
34 ebuilds, special super-hardened ebuild not in normal portage tree, i might
35 have requirement complety different from what the developer thought. And also
36 it is impossible to bring all those ebuild to the high security standard i
37 mention here, so i should have the possibility to verify at emerge time.
38 So, instead of "esecurity_check" it should be a portage feature that i can
39 switch on. After every unpack or even building the image, just before
40 installation, i would like to see what security impacts the package might
41 have in its source or how many suid progs it wants to install or whatever.
42 And if i say so, the ebuild should not install as soon as the scanners detect
43 that the installed software would not conform to my requirements (that i
44 would have to define in make.conf).
45
46 > perhaps creating tools for developers to use when testing out a new pkg
47 > would be feasible ...
48 Yes, that would be very nice.
49
50 > then again i think if you want a 'secure' box you
51 > should follow the excellent work the gentoo-hardened team has put together
52 According to whats written on the project side the issue i bring up here is
53 not (yet) covered. a secure box can always be compromised by installing
54 insecure software. So installing secure software (only) should be made easy
55 and verifyable. As portage is responsible for installing software on our
56 gentoo machines it should support us in developing and installing secure
57 software.
58 The feature i bring to discussion here is for sure not the overall solution
59 but a little step in the right direction.
60
61 It is dumb (no offense meant) to believe the ebuild-maintainer knows about and
62 respects the local Site Security Requirements. It is dumb to believe every
63 administrator or user is a security expert and can audit each software
64 package before installation.
65
66 Jan
67 > ... -mike