From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ports Security
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:37:20
1 On Friday 05 September 2003 10:13, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > a guide for portage developers how to make sure the things installed are
3 > secure. Just like
4 > http://www.openbsd.org/porting.html#Security
5
6 we dont have one and i dont believe there are plans for one ... again, the
7 people who would be writing it are the gentoo-hardened team but i havent seen
8 any mentions of it on the hardened list ...
9
10 > Thats your point of view.
11
12 not really ... the performance hit is not acceptable
13
14 > No, it should not. Site Security doesnt stop at the ebuild maintainer.
15 > I, as a potential user of "trusted gentoo", would like to have a way to
16 > verify the work of the developer.
17
18 then verify it ... either you trust gentoo developers or you dont ...
19
20 > I might want to use 3rd party ebuilds, commercial ebuilds, special
21 > super-hardened ebuild not in normal portage
22 > tree, i might have requirement complety different from what the developer
23 > thought.
24
25 like i said this is were the special util or pkg could be utilized that would
26 do this kind of security scan ... basically it is used whenever the user
27 wants to do that kind of research. but again, no such think (afaik) exists.
28
29 > And also it is impossible to bring all those ebuild to the high
30 > security standard i mention here, so i should have the possibility to
31 > verify at emerge time. So, instead of "esecurity_check" it should be a
32 > portage feature that i can switch on.
33
34 in that vein, no work has been done
35
36 > After every unpack or even building
37 > the image, just before installation, i would like to see what security
38 > impacts the package might have in its source or how many suid progs it
39 > wants to install or whatever. And if i say so, the ebuild should not
40 > install as soon as the scanners detect that the installed software would
41 > not conform to my requirements (that i would have to define in make.conf).
42
43 talk to hardened ... there is already work to trim out all (if possible) suid
44 binaries ...
45
46 > According to whats written on the project side the issue i bring up here is
47 > not (yet) covered. a secure box can always be compromised by installing
48 > insecure software. So installing secure software (only) should be made easy
49 > and verifyable. As portage is responsible for installing software on our
50 > gentoo machines it should support us in developing and installing secure
51 > software.
52
53 well, there are instances where this is not true, but lets not bother mincing
54 words on a moot point ;)
55
56 > It is dumb (no offense meant) to believe the ebuild-maintainer knows about
57 > and respects the local Site Security Requirements. It is dumb to believe
58 > every administrator or user is a security expert and can audit each
59 > software package before installation.
60
61 agreed
62
63 but all in all, i'd suggest taking this thread to the hardened list. the
64 people who are on that list make security their #1 focus. you'd get a very
65 different reception (probably more useful input) than here on -dev.
66 -mike