From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ICC Profile
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:51:02
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> posted 4880F05D.4010905@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:34:53 -0400:
3
4 > Personally, I use -Os across the board when it doesn't break. As you
5 > said I tend to be memory/IO bound, and optimizing for size helps with
6 > both (swapping causes IO). I'd probably benefit from using -O3 on the
7 > aforementioned CPU-intensive apps.
8
9 I did before gcc-4.3, but with 4.3, several of the other flags (-freorder-
10 blocks-and-partition, for instance, which increases cache hit rates but
11 also increases size) I was using folded into -O2 but not -Os, and I
12 decided -O2 was a better choice as a result.
13
14 Has anyone done a study of -Os vs -O2 with gcc-4.3.x, similar to the ICC/
15 gcc-4.x study linked upthread? On x86_64 would be an extra bonus,
16 particularly if it were on AMD, or if both Intel and AMD were studied, as
17 would the effect of such flags as -freorder-blocks-and-partition, as
18 mentioned above. I'd love to see links, if so!
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
26 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list