From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ICC Profile
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:35:14
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >
3 > The more interesting question, then, is whether users run any
4 > non-trivial cpu-bound programs. We know the applied science types do,
5 > but they tend to be the ones who're doing clever things with icc
6 > anyway. What about normal users?
9 I'm sure they do on some occasion if they encode compressed audio/video,
10 or when compressing data with zip/etc. That is probably the biggest
11 application of cpu-bound software.
12
13 Personally, I use -Os across the board when it doesn't break. As you
14 said I tend to be memory/IO bound, and optimizing for size helps with
15 both (swapping causes IO). I'd probably benefit from using -O3 on the
16 aforementioned CPU-intensive apps.
17 --
18 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list