From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ICC Profile
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:44:18
1 On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:34:53 -0400
2 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > The more interesting question, then, is whether users run any
5 > > non-trivial cpu-bound programs. We know the applied science types
6 > > do, but they tend to be the ones who're doing clever things with icc
7 > > anyway. What about normal users?
8 >
9 > I'm sure they do on some occasion if they encode compressed
10 > audio/video, or when compressing data with zip/etc. That is probably
11 > the biggest application of cpu-bound software.
12
13 How much of that is memory bound? Of the things that aren't, how many
14 aren't written in assembly anyway? Of those things, what proportion of
15 the runtime is spent in those areas?
16
17 If you double the speed of something that takes up 2% of the overall
18 execution time, you can't measure the improvement.
19
20 Or looking at it the other way -- is there any reason to believe that
21 using icc (which can end up being a substantial pain in the arse, given
22 the way it tries to use gcc's c++ headers but doesn't support some of
23 the extensions or quirks that g++ does) will provide a genuine gain
24 for people who aren't already doing clever profile-directed trickery
25 anyway?
26
27 > I'd probably benefit from using -O3 on the aforementioned
28 > CPU-intensive apps.
29
30 The problem with -O3 is that function inlining can lead to a
31 substantial cache hit. Unless you're using profile-directed
32 optimisations, which Gentoo doesn't support, it's extremely hit and
33 miss as to whether O3 helps or hurts.
36 Ciaran McCreesh