From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:45:58
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:04:10 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
2 <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
3 | If it were to be implemented with symlinks (implying one entry is
4 | "real" and the others are aliases) the package manager just needs to
5 | canonicalise any symlinked CPs it comes across.
6
7 Not that simple. Think about installed packages, overlays and changing
8 aliases. The package manager would need to keep track of what aliases
9 were at any given time. Then there're symlinks to outside the tree and
10 circular symlinks... There's a lot more too it than is initially
11 obvious.
12
13 | Since we can't have symlinks in CVS, there are other ways it can be
14 | done; first thing that pops into my head is an "alias" package entry
15 | in the tree, where instead of ebuilds & files/ etc it would just
16 | contain a file "alias" with the category (and perhaps package name)
17 | of the aliased package.
18
19 Files are cleaner than symlinks for other reasons too. Also allows the
20 opportunity of making 'deprecated' aliases that issue QA warnings.
21
22 | > Has to walk the entire tree... so if N category per pkg is going to
23 | > be proposed, need to preserve the fast lookup that's there now.
24 |
25 | I don't think the above ideas cause any substantial change to the
26 | amount of processing required.
27
28 Perhaps you should think. It's nowhere near as straight forward as you
29 claim. Which is not to say it's not doable, just that it's not doable
30 cheaply...
33 Ciaran McCreesh
34 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list